Ten days ago, the first chapter of Radio Free Jackson began. To be honest, if the entire book were to consist of only five words - "Tunes 'til Two is back!" - I'd be quite satisfied. As a nearly-middle-aged radio dork who has spent more than my fair share of time reading about radio across the country and around the world, seeing the reaction from listeners is nothing short of fascinating. As a nearly-middle-aged man who listened to David Adcock as a child/young man, and also partook (Is that really a word?) of Sam's earlier, masterful revival of the show on another network, as they say in the industry... and was able to talk face-to-face with a listener on the night of the launch about how he listened to TTT that morning with his mom? There are simply no words to describe how I felt, and continue to feel, other than, "WOULD Y'ALL PLEASE STOP CHOPPING ONIONS, I'M TRYING TO READ A COMPUTER MONITOR!?!" Eternal shout-outs and finger-snaps to Sam for so graciously bringing his talent, knowledge, and spirit to RFJ.
I'm also touched beyond measure by the reaction we've received from a lot of local musicians who apparently share our vision that Spotify and SoundCloud and YouTube are nice and all, but that there's something missing from the equation. The same thing goes for our Facebook family (Instagram and Twitter, we're coming for you eventually.) who have sent words of encouragement. Also, once again, and forevermore, THANK YOU to those whose financial support made our launch possible. If you're interested in supporting us financially (Thanks!), we have a PayPal account - paypal.me/rfjxn - every little bit helps.
Well, what's next?
We all work day jobs, so please bear with us if we're delayed a bit, but our goal is to be running a full daytime schedule by Sunday, December 8th. This doesn't mean that all of our programs will be in place, but hopefully a few of them will... and we'll have curated playlists throughout the day. We want to bring you live concerts and recordings of performances, and we're already working out the details on how to make it happen.
Radio Free Jackson isn't just about music. Our ultimate goal is to bring you Public Service Announcements and full-length programs that address some of the great things going on in the community, as well as discussions about what needs fixing and how to go about getting it done.
We've got to get back to work, but be aware:
1) This site will be in a state of flux for a week or so. Long story.
2) Pro-Tip: On iPhone, I've noticed two things - if you're wanting to listen in the car, the stream will drop when your phone switches from wi-fi to the cellular network... AND for some reason you can't just restart the stream from the lock screen when this happens... you'll have to bring up the app and press play. Hopefully this can be resolved in a later update.
3) Use the USB option in your car for highest-quality sound, but sometimes your bluetooth connection competes for the audio and it can be frustrating. In my car, it's possible to disconnect the bluetooth from the MEDIA portion of the system while keeping it connected for phone calls.
4) We hope to have a Roku channel set up sometime down the road, but that will be a project for AFTER we get the station fully launched.
5) The simple web player (bit.ly/radiofreejxn) will let you PAUSE the feed from a PC, and assumedly a Mac too - none of our other options allow that.
6) We want ALL THE LOCAL AND REGIONAL MUSIC! Contact us on facebook, or email music (at) radiofreejxn (dot) com
All the best,
Browser-based listeners can access Radio Free Jackson via the player below!
Radio Free Jackson's soft launch is less than a week away, so you might want these!
iPhone/iPad App: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/radio-free-jackson/id1486589953
Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radio.m628b1fa6c&hl=en_US
In the App Store, you can search for "Radio Free Jackson".
For some reason, in the Google Play Store you must search for "radiofreejxn" .
We'll have an old-school browser-based player as soon as we migrate to our new site layout... hopefully by Thursday. There's another trick up our sleeves, but we're waiting to test it first. Stay tuned!
For the time being, we're airing a TEST TRANSMISSION, which is subject to change every day or so, or when we push the wrong button.
Thanks, as always, for your support of Radio Free Jackson!
Radio Free Jackson is currently in "Soft Launch Mode" - we're aiming to expand our lineup VERY SOON! Be on the lookout here, and on our Facebook page.